Thursday, March 31, 2011

Beautiful Day, Beautiful Purse….. Almost.

Song of the Day: Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & the Waves
Wow! What a great day out today! And tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer. Here in Northern Ca, we are having our first real feel of spring. I think it was 77 degrees out? And tomorrow it’s supposed to be 80! The windows are all open, my plants look pretty happy now that they’re not dying anymore, and even the dog wants to be on the patio. J We had a great picnic at the park today, too! Me and the girls met up with some other moms and had a fun time, and are going to make some fantastic cupcakes at E’s friend’s house tomorrow. I think we are definitely spending some time out on our cleaned up patio today. J

Now, if I can just get this stinkin’ purse finished.  Here’s a little back story: One day, I went to lunch with my awesome mother-in-law. We had a delicious meal at Red Robin, then went to Teavanna at our mall. Somewhere between the two, my favorite Tinker Bell purse went missing (I’ve already laid my sadness, to rest, sung a dirge, and spread the ashes.) Happily, I didn’t have anything in it. I mean NOTHING. I had my wallet, phone, iTouch, and keys in my jacket pockets. Why, you ask? I have no idea. A stroke of luck? A God-appointed happening? I don’t know.

So, instead of buying a new one, I decided to make my own. It’s troubling. It’s distressing. I can’t seem to figure out why the directions don’t work. Oh, right! Because they are incomplete. I really love this purse pattern, too! It’s a quilted circles purse pattern from the book One Yard Wonders, but I’ve never quilted before, and the book failed to tell me to use a heavy-duty needle (I’m a newbie sewer and didn’t think about this when starting) and I broke the needle. And then another one. I finally got a heavy needle, and it works ok, but now I’m supposed to add bias tape (made my own, thank you very much) over the already thick part of the purse and, I gotta say, I’m thinking of skipping it and just pinking the edges.  What would you guys do?

Other than this, I’m really happy with it. I’ve made a few minor changes to the original design like using a button and loop instead of a magnetic closure, and I really like how it looks. I'll be able to show you all tomorrow. :)
I still have to put the purse handle on, but that will happen tonight. And do the bias tape on the inside. Or not. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment